Road Traffic Accidents - which solicitor do I have to use?

We are often asked about Road Traffic Accidents (RTAs) and whether people can use their own solicitors instead of one situated miles away. I am one of our expert injury lawyers and here are my comments on a typical question raised by clients-


I was injured in a road accident two months ago when my car was hit by another
vehicle emerging from a junction. I broke my wrist in two places. The other driver’s insurance company has been in touch with me and has offered to settle the claim on a 50/50 basis. They want to make a payment to me of £1,000.00 for my injuries and other losses and expenses. Should I accept? I have been in touch with my own legal expenses insurer (through my own car insurance policy) and they wish to appoint a solicitor who is based a 100 miles away from my home. Do I have a choice of Solicitor?


You need advice from a solicitor who can go through the details of the accident with you in order to establish the facts and to advise you whether or not the offer of a 50/50 split on liability is reasonable. This will depend on the individual
circumstances but it does sound as though the other driver was probably to blame, if he has emerged from a side road and you were on a main road. Therefore, at this stage, do not admit liability. If you do accept liability on a 50/50 basis, then any compensation you claim for your injuries and other losses and expenses will be reduced by half upon settlement. Additionally, you will be liable for a potential claim by the other driver in respect of his/her injuries and losses. Any such claim should be dealt with by your own insurance company and you must notify them of your accident at the earliest opportunity. Any claim against you could affect your insurance in the future.

You are entitled to be represented by any solicitor you choose. You are not limited to appointing the solicitors recommended by your legal expenses insurer. Your own solicitor can usually arrange legal expenses insurance.

If the other driver is liable, then you will be entitled to claim damages for your injuries and compensation for your other losses and expenses, such as any loss of earnings, vehicle insurance excess, hire and other expenses.

If you have had an accident in the last three years and would like advice with regard to a claim, pleased contact Lindsey Bayles or Joanne Copeland for your first free interview, telephone 01229 811811. Your claim may be dealt with on a “No Win – No Fee” basis.

You’re in safe hands

Trust our team of local experts to provide the best advice on a wide range of legal and financial issues whenever you’re facing a life change and need the best support.

0800 389 2939

Our team are available Monday to Friday 9am - 5pm

Find Your BranchMEET THE TEAM

She'll be glad you planned ahead

Organising your finances today, while planning for the future can be a challenge. We’ll put the kettle on – and take the pressure off.


You'll know when it's time to talk

From making a will, to matters of business law our qualified solicitors can offer advice and guidance. Pop in for a chat or call us to make your free appointment.


Sign up for our newsletter

Your details

Signing up to our newsletter will place you on our weekly property guide, providing you with the latest properties for sale and industry news.
You can unsubscribe at any time. We value your privacy and will not share your details.

© Poole Townsend 2017 - 2022. All rights reserved.
Poole Townsend solicitors Ltd (Company no:10964550) is a company registered in England and Wales with its registered office at 69-75 Duke Street, Barrow in Furness, LA14 1RP. A list of directors is available at the registered office address. Authorised and regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority number 647087. We are independent financial advisers authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority. VAT registration number :154365563.

Poole Townsend Estates Ltd. (Company No: 10960705) is a company registered in England and Wales with its registered office at 69-75 Duke Street, Barrow in Furness LA14 1RP. A list of directors is available at the registered office address. Regulated by the Council of Licensed Conveyancers to provide Conveyancing services. (Firm no: 3438) VAT registration number 288092466. Our Estate Agency is a member of the Property Ombudsman scheme.

Poole Townsend Estates Ltd Property Client account has client money protection, to view our Client Money Protection Certificate please click here. To view our Equality and Diversity Data please click here. The Propertymark Conduct and Membership Rules can be found here.

Professional Indemnity Insurance – please contact Martin Oates at the address above if you require details of cover held.

Registered with the Information Commissioners Office for data protection purposes (ICO No: ZA494153 & ZA331395)


Book Your Free Valuation

Fill out the form below and we'll get in touch to arrange your free valuation.

Your Details

We value your privacy and will not share your details.