Professional legal help is of real value but many people still do not get the help they need when they need it. Our aim at Poole Townsend is to set high professional standards and to run our business to be strong, diverse, accessible and affordable to those who need help.
Apparently, only a third of people with a legal problem seek professional advice and only one in 10 will take advice from a qualified lawyer. That can’t be good for us or for you. The reasons given in a recent article by our regulators, the SRA, include
• What it might cost me-
- 63 percent of people don’t believe that professional legal advice is affordable for ordinary people (whatever ordinary is?)
- 75 percent said that cost influences their choice
- When people handle legal issues without help from a solicitor, it is often because they assume it would be too expensive or poor value for money
• My problem is too complicated
• I don’t have trust in professional advice
• I don’t know if the benefit of taking action is worth the time/cost.
• I don’t believe that the justice system is 'fair and transparent', and
• I find it intimidating.
So it is not looking good, is it? You think we are too expensive. Your problems are too complicated. You don’t think it is worth the time to take advice and you have no faith in the system.
But there are also plenty of websites that are busy late at night dispensing free advice that probably won’t fit your exact circumstances and which clearly state they take no responsibility for the advice given.
We believe that we are well placed to help you get good advice and access justice. So what shall we do? If you come to see us, the first meeting is free. We listen to you and tell you how we can help, how and when that help will be delivered, over what timescale and how much it will cost. As far as possible, we work on fixed fees and where we can’t, we promise regular updates and the chance to pay as you go. A lot of our work is done on a ‘no win no fee’ basis so the risk is on us, not you.
So we won’t send you off on a wild goose chase where you have little or no chance of success. And we are not intimidating. We are local, friendly, real people. We want to work for you and do a good job so you will be happy with our work, happy with our fees and happy to recommend us to others.